Lawrence R. Watson
Mr. Watson, a founding partner of Banks & Watson, has retired from the practice of law. He practiced law for more than 30 years, representing a wide variety of corporate, commercial and individual clients in transactional matters and litigation. Mr. Watson’s practice, while emphasizing real property-related matters, has nevertheless remained quite diverse, permitting him to bring a broad perspective to his clients’ needs. Mr. Watson serves as outside counsel to national as well as California companies.
Since 1999, Mr. Watson has held the highest rating for professional excellence and ethics A-V from the attorney-rating service, Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Watson has served as a member of the Board of Directors for a number of charitable or non-profit entities and currently serves as a director and officer of Sacramento’s Midtown Business Association and as a director of the Sacramento Midtown Property Based Improvement District.
Mr. Watson advises his clients on a broad spectrum of matters including:
- Real estate transactions, including acquisition, financing and leasing
- Business and commercial transactions
- Business entity formation and governance
- Business and real property litigation
- Negotiated and concluded in excess of 100 commercial leases (retail, office, restaurant, warehouse, industrial, laboratory, medical, mixed use and ground leases) throughout northern California.
- Sale of multi-story, downtown office building and associated parking on behalf of California department of national veterans’ organization.
- Sale of regional shopping center in greater Sacramento area.
- Successful representation of regional bank against development company in connection with dispute over property recovered by bank as security.
- Sale of partially entitled land to developer for creation of regional shopping center (Yuba City).
- Successful resolution of seven figure breach of contract claim against seller of Elk Grove automobile dealership.
- Sale of 56± acres of undeveloped land to Home Depot (Foothills area); separate sale of 13± acres to Home Depot (North Valley).
- Complex Employment Agreement for president of a Southern California university.
- Negotiate and document complex, eight figure, real property division and settlement agreement between regional developers.
- Successful resolution of breach of contract claim against seller of multiple-location salon and spa business.
- Sale of 179 acre subdivision (at tentative map stage) in East Bay.
- Partnership Agreement, LLC Operating Agreement and associated Buy/Sell Agreement for regional law firm.
- Sale (with associated permitting issues) of major Delta boat marina.
- Create complex set of cross-easements to support joint use agreement between large adjoining commercial parcels in Rancho Cordova.
- Acquisition, sale and leasing of numerous cell towers in the greater Sacramento region.
- Successful resolution of long-standing easement dispute between Lake Tahoe homeowners associations (involving lake access).
- Negotiate and document acquisition of multi-million dollar commercial complex in East Bay area.
- Negotiate remediation and monitoring program for hazardous material soil contamination in regional shopping center.
- Office building purchase for regional law firm.
- Major overhaul of bylaws for county winery association.
- Purchase of 100+ acre tract for upscale private gun club.
Mr. Watson is a member of the Sacramento County Bar Association and the State Bar of California. He has served and continues to serve on various community and charitable boards of directors.