University of California, Berkeley – Boalt Hall School of Law
James O. Moses
Mr. Moses has a practice devoted to civil litigation, and has specialized experience in the areas of unfair competition, civil RICO claims, trade secrets, business dissolution, commercial litigation and trust and estate litigation. He also has appellate experience, with published decisions in Roberts v. Lomanto (2003) 112 Cal.App.4th 1553, People ex rel. Bender v. Wind River Mining Project (1990) 219 Cal.App.3d 1390 and Estate of Lee (1980) 124 Cal.App.3d 687 cases.
Mr. Moses received his A.B. from Stanford University in 1969 and his J.D. from the Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California in 1975. He was admitted to the State Bar of California in 1975.
- Successfully defended small telecommunications company in unfair competitive practices action by publicly traded company; obtained highly favorable settlement while defense motion for summary judgment was pending.
- Successfully represented shopping center owner in lease termination by anchor tenant; after reversal of trial court judgment collected $1.7 million in settlement, representing 100% of damages claimed in landlord’s complaint, plus prejudgment interest.
- Represented commercial property owner to recover undisclosed broker profit in sale of property; obtained reversal of summary judgment in favor of broker, tried case, resulting in a judgment of $1.8 million (collected), representing all damages plus significant amounts of pre-judgment interest and attorney’s fees.
- Successfully defended yard care products company in trade secrets/violation of non-competition agreement case; obtained highly favorable settlement (3.6 % of general damages claimed, without other concessions by defendant) in mediation after cross-motions for summary judgment were filed.
- Successfully represented solvent guarantor of defaulted lease; identified defenses arising from conduct of foreclosing lender and obtained release of guarantor for less than 5% of remaining lease obligations, paid by tenant.
- Successfully represented defendants in partnership accounting case; trial of case resulted in defense judgment, affirmed on appeal.
Estate of Lee (1980) 124 Cal.App.3d 687
People ex rel. Bender v. Wind River Mining Project (1990) 219 Cal.App.3d 1390
Roberts v. Lomanto (2004) 112 Cal.App.4th 1553
Mr. Moses is a member of the Sacramento County Bar Association and the State Bar of California.